Originally built in 1881, the historical site where Hullett House stands today is one of the four oldest surviving government buildings in Hong Kong. For more than 100 years it was occupied by Hong Kong’s Royal Marine Police.
Hullett House is named in honour of Richmond William Hullett, a 19th century English scholar who lived and worked in Asia. A dedicated botanist, he discovered, amongst others, a hybrid of Bauhinia, also known as the Hong Kong orchid. The bauhinia flower with its delicate pink orchid-like leaves was adopted as the floral emblem of Hong Kong in 1965, and has proudly appeared on Hong Kong’s flag and coins since 1997. A statue of the flower was presented to the people of Hong Kong by the People’s Republic of China, and can now be found at Golden Bauhinia Square in Hong Kong.